Thursday, December 11, 2008

Updates

Yeah, I know. I haven't updated in a long time. I want to write about HAPPY things, and frankly, the last month (and actually longer), has been exhausting and overwhelming, to say the least.

This pregnancy is the hardest yet. Is it because I am 35? Maybe. All I know is that in general, I am tired, cranky, and the morning sickness about killed me. Thank heavens *that* is over (for now).

I have been sick with bronchitis for at least 5-weeks now. I deal with this frequently, but being pregnant makes it that much worse. For example, I have peed my pants more times than I care to count during the last month. Every time I cough, I pee. I have actually taken to wearing the equivalent of "Depends" because it is the ONLY solution I have found to this stupid problem. I also feel like I'm not being treated very well by my doctors. My OB-GYN seems to think that I won't get over it until the baby gets here, or the weather changes (about the same time out here in Utah). Basically, he doesn't seem to think there's anything we can do about it - "It's asthma - tough luck!" My family doctor is trying to help, but I wonder if they are trying everything. If I WASN'T pregnant, I think they would be more concerned. And that's really bothering me because I AM pregnant, and to me, that's a reason to be REALLY concerned. I am taking Azmacort (a steroid inhaler), an albuterol inhaler, antibiotics, and a generic for Robitussin with Codeine. I <3 codeine.

Another problem that I have been having is with my gestational diabetes. It came back MUCH earlier this time, and I'm already on insulin. I am currently stabbing myself 8 times a day. 4 times to check my blood sugars, 4 times to give myself 2 different kinds of insulin. The good news is that I shouldn't ever have to stab myself more times than that. The bad news is that my insulin levels will likely continue to increase as the pregnancy progresses. Joys.

That should be enough, right? No... there's more. About 3-weeks ago, I experienced tachycardia. Tachycardia is basically when your heart beats abnormally. In my case, my heart decides to beat VERY, VERY fast. We were not able to measure the heart rate when it first started, but 8-minutes into my episode, my heart rate finally dropped to 160 beats per minute. I am fairly certain that it was around 200 beats per minute before that point. Anyway, my OB-GYN told me to go visit my cardiologist. I'm all, "I don't have a freakin' cardiologist!" (Why would I? Do YOU have a cardiologist? I mean, I have no history of NEEDING a cardiologist!) Anyway, I found myself a cardiologist and I've had to wear a heart monitor for the past two weeks. I hate it. Thankfully, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I will go and see my cardiologist tomorrow to find out if I have anything else to worry about.

During this time, we also chose to have the NT Scan with Integrated Screening done. We've never done any kind of genetic testing with any of our other kids, but now that I am 35, well... I was a little concerned. This series of tests tells us our risks of having a baby with Downs Syndrome, Spina Bifida (or other neural tube diseases), and Trisomy 18. I am happy to tell you that our risks for Spina Bifida and Trisomy 18 are something like 1 in 10,000. Our risk for a baby with Downs Syndrome is something like 1 in 3900. These numbers are excellent, and I am grateful that it appears we have very little to worry about. In addition, the ultrasound today didn't seem to indicate any other problems that would increase the chances of our baby having any of the previous conditions. A blessing to be sure.

So... the good news. We had an ultrasound today and we were able to find out what we are having. If you don't want to know, don't visit the above site. But after today, I'm not necessarily keeping it a secret from the readers on this blog, so you might find out unintentionally anyway. So yeah... click or don't... it's up to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus