Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Brain Is Not Working

I just can't seem to wrap my mind about anything these days, can't seem to get things done, and spend 99.9% of my time arguing with little girls.

I owe my blog (and you) pictures. And updates. And yet, I can't seem to even start with one measly picture. Which really stinks, because my last post? Well, NINE of you left comments! And what do I do to pay you back? Disappear for over a week? Two weeks? I don't know. I can't keep track.

BTW, I've read all of your blogs. But if you got a comment than you are VERY lucky indeed. As of this morning, however, I am current on ALL of your blogs. So I have been reading.

I am going out to dinner tonight with two of my friends from Virginia - though they both live here now (yay!). Maybe a girls night out will be just the thing I need.

Problem Solve: The Princess' handwriting looks like sh**. She has always had nice handwriting in the past. She claims she doesn't know that there is supposed to be a space after commas. She has to write in a journal 3-4 times a week over the summer. It is supposed to be her best work. Her teacher is only requiring 2-3 sentences for each entry. I haven't told her that part, and she typically writes 4-5 sentences. If she wrote a shorter one, I wouldn't have an issue with it. The problem? She isn't trying to do her best work. So I am making her re-do it. And re-do it. And re-do it again. She just wants to get it done. Someone tell me that she will eventually catch on and realize that if she did her BEST the first time, she would've been done in less than 10-minutes, instead of taking an hour or more?

She has maybe 30-minutes to an hours worth of homework each day (some of it is self-imposed due to a reading contest/challenge from her teacher). I can see her stretching it into a full 8-hours of hell each and every day. If she is so "gifted" why can't she grasp the concept of doing it right the first time, and getting it over with? Argh!

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Summer. Isn't it delightful?!

Some gifted children are much more creative than task oriented which could be part of the issue at hand. Or maybe she's just trying to get at you - my kids are doing that and doing it very well these days!!!!!!

PS: Glad you're back!

1:06 PM  
Blogger dubby said...

I never gave my kids allowance, but they had other opportunities to earn money. This would have been one. I would ask the King to rate it from one to ten when he got home and that is how many dimes she would get for her entry. He should rate content as well, but I am thinking carrots might work better than sticks.

Or I would put out ten M&Ms and when she was done, I'd read it and take away one for every missing comma. She would get the rest. Then I could jokingly blame HER that I am fat!

I really miss those days.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus