Monday, May 12, 2008

Clarification...

[SPOILER ALERT! The last paragraph of my post reveals the winner of Survivor, so if you don't want to know who won, I recommend that you stop reading now. Don't even tempt fate! But if you do, don't say I didn't warn you!]

My Mother's Day wasn't ideal. Let's face it, it almost always looks better on TV than it is in real life. BUT, that being said, it wasn't necessarily The King's fault. I've been informed that it's my job to fill-him-in, give him clues, tell him what I want. I have done this in the past, particularly with Christmas, where I have gone as far as purchasing my own gifts (I refuse to wrap them however). He could've taken some more initiative, I suppose, but really, he was NOT the reason why my Mother's Day sucked.

What would've made a nice Mother's Day? Being able to sleep in, for one. Maybe having breakfast made for me. Unfortunately, those things aren't feasible when you have church at 9 AM. I was up at 7:00 to make sure that I and the girls were ready for church. The King works hard, and I was so exhausted from my long and tiring Friday and Saturday, he had to "take charge" all Saturday night, because I was basically unconscious by 7 pm. That's a pretty incredible Mother's Day gift in and of itself - especially since it involved making sure that both girls were bathed before they went to bed. With all the work he put in on Saturday (not to mention a day spent out in the garden - more on that later), I would've felt bad for him if he had been up at the crack of the dawn cooking an incredible breakfast and getting the girls all ready for me, so perhaps I could've slept an extra 45-minutes to an hour.

As far as flowers go... in a way, he DID get me flowers for Mother's Day. I mentioned that I went shopping for flowers on Friday. I don't think I told you how many I bought. All together I purchased 102 individual plants (and I only spent $23.13 including tax). I believe 21 of them went to my Mom for Mother's Day, and I planted 6 of them into a hanging basket on my front porch. That left SEVENTY-FIVE plants that needed to go into the garden. Guess what I don't enjoy doing? Planting, gardening, weeding, etc, etc, etc. Guess who planted all SEVENTY-FIVE plants for me? The King. Is that not an incredible gift? I think it is. It REALLY is.

The Dragon gave me a hug and a kiss. She CLEARLY thought that she had given me the best gift ever imaginable. It definitely WAS quite fantastic.

The Princess gave me a collection of items - the best of which is a coupon that says "I will clean the house. (Only One Time)" Do I kill her now and hand it to her after school, or do I hang onto it until she is 16? *ponders*

Even Nemo gave me a present for Mother's Day. The forget-me-nots were in full bloom, and the one lone tulip that is planted by him burst forth into a beautiful blossom.

But Nemo... there's where it hurts. I was doing OK, up until Mother's Day. And even then, in the morning, I was doing OK. But I went to church, and someone chose today to announce their pregnancy - and of course, she had a due date close to when our little Nemo should've arrived. It hurt. I know it wasn't intentional - she is not someone I ever talk to, she wouldn't even know about my miscarriage (or pregnancy) - but it still hurt. I would've left the room, but I play the piano in Relief Society, and since I was still stuck there, I couldn't exactly leave. I realize that some people would say that I can't begrudge someone else the happiness that they feel because of their pregnancy - and 'some people' would be right. But it doesn't change the fact that it still hurts. Church is REALLY hard for me right now anyway - everyone is pregnant. Starting in March, there is AT LEAST one baby being born every month. I was supposed to be November. I was taking comfort in the fact that there would be a gaping hole there - I never imagined being replaced. But I was. And on Mother's Day no less. And it hurt.

The other difficult part of Mother's Day was that my kids chose to fight all during Church. I know I am not alone on this one! My mood was shot by the time we finally made it out the parking lot, and since my kids were now fighting about how to climb into the car - many of my neighbors got to hear me yell "Get in the car RIGHT NOW before I decide to RUN YOU OVER." Yeah, good times!

The Church also gave all the Mother's a small box of chocolates. I was in such a foul mood, I inhaled them in a matter of seconds when I got home. I honestly couldn't even tell you what they tasted like at this point. So much for savoring and enjoying them. They were the good kind too.

So... there you have it. The story of why my Mother's Day sucked. It really wasn't THAT bad... but I really was struggling with the "what could've been" yesterday, and it kind-of made the day not-so-great. Sure, a card would've been nice... but would it have changed a sucky-day to a GREAT day? I'm not so sure. My husband loves me, and he does a lot of things for me on days that aren't ALL ABOUT ME. And I love him for that.

Besides, I got to order pizza for dinner... and I ordered the kind *I* wanted... ham & pineapple with breadsticks to boot. And I ordered hot wings for The King. Yum.

Maybe the REAL reason that Mother's Day sucked was that stupid Parvati had to win Survivor. BLAH!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

What a long day for you. I'm sorry. I guess I feel better about the cheese grater my dh got me for Mother's day. LOL I planted all my own flowers too. AND it must have been the day because fighting is what my kids did all day also. At the end of sacrement meeting I was soooooooooooo ready for them to go to class before I killed them in church!
Hope that your week is a better one.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Lara Neves said...

((hugs)) to you.

I had a miscarriage the week before mother's day and I remember that was a hard one for me.

It's okay, though. You are totally allowed to have yucky mother's days, especially under the circumstances.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Joni said...

((Hugs))

5:53 PM  
Blogger dubby said...

It will take time to get over a death in your family. I am going through the same with Gail, who passed away just about the same time as Nemo. Some differences, but I still find times I have to burst into tears. Mother's Day, yeah, I missed her.

But gee, you win on the thoughtful husband contest! Flowers planted, chocolate at church instead of a flower you will kill, and a clean house! lol

5:58 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I am sorry that your Mother's Day was tough! I know how it is......

10:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry your day was less than wonderful (as well it should be wonderful.)

7:34 AM  
Blogger wonderwoman1975 said...

How does this happen, on this day, in RS, in that exact way, after what happened with Nemo? And I swear, when you experience a loss like this, you notice pg women EVERYWHERE in your life. It really does suck. Of course you don't begrudge their happiness, and they didn't do it intentionally, but geesh, it sure cuts to the very core of your pain. I felt this way for 3 years straight. It's hard. My favorite exp was on Mark's bday in 2002, it was all I was looking forward to, a bright spot in a frustrating life. Something fun to plan that didn't have anything to do with babies. We were having so much fun, and what does my sister in law do? ANNOUNCE HER FREAKING PREGNANCY AT MARK'S PARTY!!! Now, she could have done it on her mom's bday 3 weeks before, or her own 2 weeks before, or her sister's one week before, or her dad's in 2 weeks, but at Mark's? While we're struggling with IF, and then she steals his bday thunder? So, yes, I feel your pain and totally get it. Mother's Days are GREAT for ordering pizza, or skipping church (I think this is my new tradition), so I'm glad it ended well with bread sticks to boot.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus