Thursday, January 03, 2008

My Cat Likes Picante Sauce and other useless stories...

AND SO IT GOES
I know you weren't aware of this, but the last paragraph I wrote last night? The one that goes like this?

The King just got home, which means that one of us has to find some food to throw at the short people. I've got some projects to work on tonight, so I guess I'll end this for now... but be warned... you never know when I might be back. WATCH OUT!

Yeah, well, there was a really funny joke in there. Did you miss it? That line about having some projects to work on? You probably thought that I was ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THEM. HA HA HA! Yeah. Right.

SIXTEEN
The Princess must catch the school bus at 7:00 AM every morning. Some of you are awake by then. A few of you, I daresay, are even outside by then. But for those of you who are still asleep in your beds, let me just tell you that at this time of year, it is still VERY dark at 7:00 AM. It is also very cold. This morning, as I climbed back into my car after the bus arrived, the radio announced that it was 16 degrees outside. BRRRR! For the record, I have experienced colder (I attended Utah State after all) and when I haven't been living in Utah, I was living on the east coast. They've got some crazy cold temperatures there too, sometimes. So this isn't a "my morning is colder than your morning" post - it's simply a "WHY am I stuck out here in the frickin' (Utah word) freezing cold while the rest of the world (meaning DH - love you, honey!) is still asleep?" post. Um, yeah.

MEAL PLANNING
Meal planning? What's that? OH WAIT! That's the idea where you make of list of meals that your family would be willing to eat over the next -- insert time period here -- and then you shop according to the list and what's in your pantry. It's a really good idea. I used to do it rather successfully. But not lately. So my friend Deb (who is probably freezing because she lives in "Aggie Land") wrote about meal planning and asked people to share a few recipes. New ideas are always good, yes? This is the easiest recipe I know how to make (well, not counting PB&J):

Crockpot BBQ Chicken

Put one whole chicken (thawed) into crockpot. Cut two onions (we wedged them, about 8 wedges each) and put on top/around chicken. Pour two cups of your favorite BBQ sauce on top. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

Our chicken usually cooks for about 7 hours and it is SO tender we usually can't get it out of the pot in one piece. It's delish!

LINKY LOVE
So, I'm trying to be more consistent in how I link to blogs -- other than my little list over on the left. I have realized (and this, I'm sure, is obvious to many of you) that if I just link to the "main page" of the blog when I write about somebody, it won't necessary reference the post that inspired the link. You know, because you keep writing and the post I referenced disappeared into your archives somewhere. (SEE? It's YOUR fault!) So, I am now going to REALLY try to make sure that I link to you TWICE when I mention a specific post. Look at the reference to Deb's blog above. Her name goes directly to the main page of her blog, but the "menu planning" link goes directly to the post that inspired me to reference it. Pretty cool, huh? Hopefully, the extra links will help to send a little more traffic your way (You know, because I have like FIVE people who read my blog on a regular basis! Or is it TEN? How about you leave me a comment and I'll attempt to count you!). Anyway, I think I've tried to do this in the past, but I'm not sure I've been consistent. I'm going to try harder.

ABOUT THE TITLE
Well, it's true. George the Cat likes picante sauce. I discovered this over the weekend when he was desperately trying to eat my quesadilla. When I finally finished eating, I had the brilliant idea that if I let him lick my plate, he would run in terror from the spiciness. Um, no. Quite the opposite. George the Cat definitely LIKES picante sauce. And now he's even more of a pest whenever I get ready to make my lunch. Talk about backfires!

LUNCH TIME
I just ate the last tortilla. And the last of the cheese. Now WHAT am I going to eat? Nothing. Nothing, that is, until I go to the store. BLAH!

ONE SPACE OR TWO?
OK all you teachers (or other smart people) out there... help me out here. In the casual setting of a blog, what's the proper protocol? Is it ONE space or TWO that should be used after every sentence? Inquiring minds want to know.

WELL, YOU JUST MOVE THE ENTIRE BUILDING...
The other day I was sitting in line at a drive-thru, and The Dragon started asking me how people can get the food if there's no window on their side. Huh? Yeah, time to investigate. It turns out that The Princess and The Dragon have been discussing cars in other countries - cars where the steering wheel is on the WRONG side of the car and countries where you drive on the WRONG side of the road. There was a teeny tiny misconception though, apparently the girls think that the way it works is that the cars in other countries are built EXACTLY the same way the cars in the U.S. are built - with the steering wheel on the left - but the PEOPLE sit on the right side and drive from there. Yep, I bet THAT works really well. So, getting back to the question about the window and getting food, The Dragon was trying to figure out how the person who is seated on the right side of the car could possibly get food when the window that they use to pass the food through to you is on the LEFT side of the car... near the steering wheel.

I tried, I really tried, to explain how the "road" would go around the building in a different way so that the window would be on the right side of the car. It was a complicated concept for The Dragon to try and grasp. I found it easier to end with this explanation: "Well, they just MOVE the building to the OTHER side of the parking lot, and flip it around so the window is on the right side of the car." "OH!" she exclaims, "THAT MAKES SENSE!" Indeed.

5 Comments:

Blogger King Isepik said...

FYI: HTML condenses 2 spaces into 1 space as a matter of course. Unless you specify that it is a non breaking space (which requires 7 keystrokes EACH). So, regardless of what is "proper", html will change it anyway. :)

11:28 PM  
Blogger dubby said...

When I took typing, we had to have two spaces after a period and it is an impossible habit to break. However, rules change. Some expert somewhere now thinks there should only be one.

I wish that expert would do some good and change the inconsistencies in grammar and spelling that make English so tough. You have to be pretty anal to care how many spaces there are after a period.

Oops. Present company excepted. lol

6:37 AM  
Blogger Dianna said...

I was always taught two spaces, but then Lint Monkey told me otherwise. As long as my college professors don't fail me, I think I'll stick with two. It makes it look like I wrote more! (unless, of course, html does change it in which case I don't have a choice so why worry?)

10:18 AM  
Blogger gaily-o said...

I was taught two spaces. I've since been informed that it is indeed one. sigh.

I like that moving buildings makes sense to the Dragon. She's wonderful!

Also, I saw a license plate frame that made me think of you. It said: I must be the Queen, I have two princesses!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Don't you just love trying to explain things like that to your kids?!

Thanks for the recipe - we'll be having it this weekend!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus