Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day One of Unemployment

It's a bit different going through a job lay-off for the fourth time. I'm sure it's even more different for my husband... after all, it was HIS job. He's always so calm (he basically has an imaginary concrete wall built around him), it always seems like I am the one who is completely freaking out while he just keeps plodding along down his chosen path. I'm guessing that on the inside, he's probably more upset than the outside shows - but maybe not. It's no fun being unemployed, and it sure as heck isn't going to be easy for us, but in another way, he was so miserable at this company it's almost a relief to be cut free. We just wish that one of the other places he has been interviewing with recently had hired him - because then he could've just quit. It's much nicer to find a new job when it's on your terms and schedules.

We hadn't decided whether or not to tell the kids about the lay-off, but I accidentally let it slip. The Dragon doesn't quite understand what's going on - and that's OK. The Princess, however, does. She started crying, and I had to do some major reassuring that everything is going to be OK. This conversation took place on the way home from school, and when we finally got home, she decided to make a present for The King and I.

It was a set of two envelopes. One was labeled "Daddy" and the other was labeled "Mommy." She had put a piece of candy in each of them. Each envelope also contained fifty cents - carefully counted out from her piggy bank.

I gave her a huge hug, and told her how much I appreciated her thoughtful gift. And then I asked her to do me a favor. I told her that Mommy and Daddy and our family were OK and that we didn't need her money. I told her that she didn't need to worry about it... that everything was going to be OK. And then I asked her to do me a favor. "Will you please take this envelope and put it in a very safe place? Daddy and I don't need this money right now, but I promise that if we do need the money, we will come and ask you for this envelope. But for as long as you have this envelope, you don't need to worry about the money at all. Ever. As long as you have this envelope, we are OK." She accepted this line of thought and scurried off to put her precious gift in a safe place.

You can bet that I will NEVER ask her for that envelope.
Never.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lara Neves said...

Oh NO! This is horrible news. I do hope that he finds a job super quickly and that you will be just fine until then. I hope he got a good severance package.

Joel's only been laid off once in our marriage (of course, we were unemployed students for most of it anyway, not sure which is worse. :) )but that was just an awful day.

I was 7 when my dad got laid off from Geneva Steel. I remember how upset I was. You're a wonderful mother in the way you dealt with things.

I will certainly be praying for you and your family. Good luck, and (((hugs)))

11:20 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

My prayers will be with you also. I don't know what we'd do if Luke were to get laid off. I do hope that the King can find a GREAT job that he loves and quickly!

I am in awe at how well you handled the situation with your little girl! What a great thing to do. You're an awesome mom!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Your little girl sounds so cute. Isn't it funny how they "deal with money"?

8:42 PM  
Blogger Obliviocelot said...

That's... so... CUTE!

And I'm really sorry to hear about the King's job. Best of luck!

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus