Monday, December 17, 2007

Oh, That Johnny Depp!

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a big fan of Johnny Depp. So many great movies, it's hard to pick a favorite.

One of my favorite movies is "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl." Johnny Depp, who plays the pirate, "Captain Jack Sparrow" cracks me up with his disorderly drunken conduct throughout the movie. One favorite scene is when Captain Jack and Elizabeth are stranded on an island, and Elizabeth builds a bonfire with the intent of being rescued:

Jack Sparrow: [Wakes up and sees Elizabeth burning the rum] No! Not good! Stop! Not good! What are you doing? You burned all the food, the shade... the rum!

Elizabeth: Yes, the rum is gone.

Jack Sparrow: Why is the rum gone?

Elizabeth: One: because it is a *vile* drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. Two: that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire royal navy is out looking for me, do you think there is even the slightest chance they wont see it?

Jack Sparrow: But why is the rum gone?

LOL! I just love his single-mindedness and confusion as to how or why someone could possibly use all the rum for a potential rescue.

Another of my favorite movies starring Johnny Depp is "Benny & Joon." In this movie, Depp plays "Sam" a quiet, eccentric young man who seems to emulate the antics of Buster Keaton. Over time, Sam and Joon (a mentally disabled young woman) fall in love. I always get a giggle out of the scene where Sam and Joon discuss the pitiful lives of grapes.

Sam: You don't like raisins?

Joon: Not really.

Sam: Why?

Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes. I can't say I am a big supporter of the raisin council.

Sam: Did you see those, those raisins on TV? The ones that sing and dance and stuff?

Joon: They scare me.

Sam: Yeah me too

Joon: It's sick. The commercial people they make them sing and dance so people will eat them.

Sam: It's a shame about raisins.

Joon: Cannibals.

While I love both movies, I guess I would have to pick "Pirates of the Caribbean" because of it's wide-spread appeal. It's a movie that I can watch with my kids right now, where as, while I know they will eventually enjoy the comedy and messages of Benny & Joon, they are simply not ready for it.

In just a few days, Johnny Depp will be adding yet another movie to his resume - "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street." The movie opens on December 21st, and it's already received 4 Golden Globe nominations. If you'd like to learn more about this movie, visit the official Sweeney Todd movie site. You can also visit Sweeney Todd on MySpace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Ohhhh! I {heart} Johnny Depp! Every time we see a poster of him or an action figure of Captain Jack Sparrow, McKayslin says, "Momma! There's your boyfriend!" Ummm. . .yeah - I need a life!

My neighbor even gave me a bracelet for my birthday that had a dangly heart on it with a picture of Captain Jack on one side and the words, "I LOVE Captain Jack Sparrow" on the other.

Pathetic, aren't we?

But he's soooooo cute!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus