Monday, November 26, 2007

A Visit To The Vampires

First off, let's just say that I'm posting now so that I don't have a repeat of last night's "almost missed it" incident.

Last Wednesday, The King and I took the girls to see the vampires. You know, those blood-lusting fiends at the doctor's office. We had to get the girls checked for lead poisoning. The very short story of what happened there would simply be "Not Fun."

All things considered, the girls handled the blood-letting rather well. The part that killed them was the fact that they each needed to get one shot (one immunization for The Dragon and one flu shot for The Princess) immediately after the blood draw.

Can you imagine the chaos?

It took both of us to hold down one girl at a time. And there were two nurses in the room. And I'm pretty sure that the rooms aren't sound proof.

Well, anyway, the doctor called today. The test results are back. The Princess is fine. The Dragon actually shows some lead in her blood (probably from licking the plates, Dubby!). The levels are low enough that no medication will be required, nor will they require a treatment plan. So I guess that all is well... but, this leads me to the question of what is The Dragon being exposed to that her sister isn't?

It's an interesting question... and I'm just hoping that it's not going to cause too many sleepless nights.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger dubby said...

I would still do some research and home remedies to get the lead out. I think there are things like Vitamin E and blueberries that help detox her.

Everyone is different, and what will affect one won't affect another. The Dragon is smaller, may lick the plates more, may eat less of the things that clean it out of your system, and may just metabolize it differently.

Nonetheless, I certainly am glad you figured it out early and can take care of it!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That's just strange! At least the level wasn't at a dangerous point! (Although that comment sounds an awful lot like the whole "It can't be that bad" kind of thing - sorry! I didn't mean it to be that way).

I remember having Kenton's blood drawn when he was just little to check for lead because we lived in an old apartment. It was traumatic!

The kids' last visit to the doctor was pretty similar to yours - K had to have blood drawn, a flu shot, chicken pox vaccine, and a hep. B booster.

The Goose only had to have a flu shot, but she was traumatized by K's experience and totally freaked out! I was glad Luke took them so I didn't have to witness it!

I think you should Detox the dragon too. That sounds like a great story title (insert dramatic music here): Detoxing the Dragon

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

blame the licking of the plates. so sorry you've had to worry about this!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus