Monday, August 06, 2007

The Pantry Runneth Over

I love to shop. Not for clothes, not for shoes, not for groceries. Well, OK, maybe I DON'T love to shop.

I think what I love is a good deal.

So my new hobby (oh yes, it is definitely a hobby) is coupon-ing.

There are people out there who can out-coupon me by far - this post is not a claim to be named the reigning Queen of the coupons, OH NO - but I think I've gotten some pretty good deals.

I have made several trips to the store over the past few days. I made my lists, I clipped my coupons, and yes, I dare say that I shopped until I dropped.

I spent (including taxes): $177.80

Here's what I purchased:

Apple Jacks (3 15-oz boxes)
Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats (3 8-ct boxes)
Cheddar Cheese (8-oz block)
Sunsilk Shampoo
Sunsilk Conditioner
Red Grapes (1.76 pounds)
Banquet Frozen Dinners (2)
Eggo Waffles (4 boxes)
Michelina Frozen Dinners (6)
Dole Salad Mix
Bic Pens (10-ct, 2 packages)
Tyson Chicken
Hillshire Farm Lunch Meat (8-oz package, 5-oz package)
Broccoli (1.42 pounds)
Green Onions (2 packages)
Cabbage (2.53 pounds)
Baby Spinach (Fresh Express Packaged Salad)
Fried Chicken (Fresh from the oven, ready to eat!)
Croissants (2, 4-count packages)
Charmin Toilet Paper (4 packages, 12-rolls each)
Nice-N-Soft Bath Tissue (1 package, 4-rolls)
Kroger Cereal (Forgot the name, 15-oz box)
Sugar
Apple Juice (1 gallon)
Italian Salad Dressing
Dole Mandarin Oranges (6 15-oz cans)
Macaroni and Cheese
Mustard
Butter
Shedds Spread
Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
Ibuprofen (24-count)
Trident Gum
2% Milk (2 gallons)
Eggs (18-count)
Kiwi (2)
Limes (2)
Bananas (2.35 lbs)
Frozen Vegetables
Honey Roasted Peanuts
Imitation Crab Flakes (8-oz package)
Kroger Cooked Bacon (8-oz package)
Hot Dog Buns (8-ct)
Birthday Card for my brother (It cost $4.99, but it plays the "Chicken Dance"!)
Downy Fabric Softener (32 loads)
Pringles
Bounty Paper Towels (8-ct)
Puffs Facial Tissues (3 packages)
Cascade Dishwasher Detergent
Hunt's Manwich (6-cans)
Fruit Gushers (2 10-ct packages)
Fruit Snacks (5 10-ct packages)
Fruit Roll-Ups (3 8-ct packages)
Betty Crocker Frosting
Betty Crocker Cookie Mix (5 packages)
Betty Crocker Muffin Mix (4 packages)
Nature Valley Granola Bars (4 packages)
Hamburger Helper (7)
Tuna Helper (3)
Yoplait Yogurt (2 6-ct packages))
Go-Gurt (4 packages, 8-ct each)
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (6 packages)
Pillsbury Biscuits (1 package)
Pillsbury Toaster Strudels (3 packages)
Honey Nut Cheerios (5 boxes)
Fruity Cheerios (3 boxes)
Lucky Charms (2 boxes)
Hunts Pudding (14 packages, 4-ct each)
Gasoline (10.85 gallons @ $2.69 a gallon)

In addition to the groceries, I also received:
120 Box Tops For Education ($12 to The Princess' school)
2 coupons each good for 5 cents off per gallon of gasoline on my next fill-up

I spent $1.045 cents per item purchased - keep in mind an item could be 1 lime, or could be a 12-pack of toilet paper. Not, bad, right?

Would you like to know what it would've cost me without my coupons?

FIVE HUNDRED and FOUR DOLLARS and THIRTY-NINE CENTS

I got a discount of approximately 65% on all of my groceries. I'll take it.

(I realize that many of the items purchased wouldn't be considered typical groceries. I would like to clarify that this is NOT what our family would typically eat in a couple of weeks. For example, "sugar cereals" are banned 99% of the time at breakfast - at our house they are stuffed into zip-lock bags and taken to church for a "please-be-quiet-snack". One box of cereal will typically last us more than a month when used in this way. The King takes "frozen dinners" to work - we currently have a supply that should last at least a month. We're definitely not the most health-conscious people around, but this is not our normal diet either. Simply put: the "extras" that end up in your shopping cart every shopping trip have already been purchased at my house -- for a discount of 65% off the regular price! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

that's awesome!

i need to be so much better at coupon clipping.

do you use another feeds, direct mailers, etc. instead of just the sunday paper for your deals?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Jonathon Morgan said...

whoa, i'm totally starting to do that. we spend way too much at the grocery store.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow! You saved a bundle!

I should be better at couponing!

Thanks for all of your kind words and support over the past couple of weeks. I really appreciate it!

11:03 AM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

You totally win the saver award! Wow!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus