Sunday, July 15, 2007

Zucchini

All the hard work that The King has put into our garden has paid off. We now have zucchini. Does that surprise anyone? I am certainly not surprised - it seems like there is never a shortage of this vegetable come summer time.

We have tomatoes, but they are still green. Our peas will probably be ready within another week (maybe two), the corn is growing very tall but only time will tell, we also have pumpkins, carrots, green onions, and red peppers.

Anyway, since we now have zucchini, I must find ways to use it all. Kristel (my brother's girlfriend) gave us a recipe that they loved. I made it tonight with mixed reviews. I think The King and I said it was 'passable'. The girls gave it a 'thumbs down'. Kristel and my brother, however, said it was 'super duper!' Since everyone has different tastes, I thought I'd share it with you. Let me know what you think.

Zucchini Patties

2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt to taste

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1) In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well to distribute evenly.

2) Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop the zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden. Serve hot.

Honestly, they reminded me a little bit of potato pancakes. We also thought they needed a little bit more flavor, so keep that in mind. Ultimately, we ended up dipping them in marinara sauce. They weren't bad, but I think we will definitely need to doctor them up a bit if we decide to make them again.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger gaily-o said...

that sounds yummy! I'll have to try and make them, maybe with tomorrow night's dinner.

Did you get the pictures I sent you?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Derrick Gardner said...

Thanks for your comments on our site! If you want to email Deana her email is deana@clangardner.com. We are actually coming out to Utah next week and I know she wants to see you. Drop her a line

Derrick

9:45 PM  
Blogger dubby said...

I would add Mrs. Dash

6:03 AM  
Blogger gaily-o said...

I made them but I added garlic pepper and old bay. YUM!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus