Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wrong Number Manners

-- rant begins --

My cell phone rings. I answer it.

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hi!
Me: Hi.
Caller: Who is this?
Me: The Queen (OK, I used my real name but you get the point)
Caller: Oh.
Me: (silent)
Caller: Did I get the wrong number?
Me: I don't know.
Caller: What number did I call?
Me: I don't know - what number did you call?
Caller: 703-8447
Me: I'm sorry, that's not this number.
Caller: Oh. (click)

Um, I probably don't know what the "correct" protocol is when you mis-dial a phone number, but I'm pretty sure that entering into a game of 20 questions is NOT it. When I dial a wrong number and I am unsure if I reached the right number, I quickly inform them of the number I was trying to reach and ask if this is that number. Since it usually isn't, I quickly apologize and get off the phone. What do you do?

I find it amusing, however, that this caller thought I was psychic and could tell her what number she dialed. I know what she meant, of course, but I have had the experience of dialing a number correctly but have been connected to the WRONG number. So, telling her what number she dialed (if I had actually known) wouldn't have necessarily helped.

-- end of rant --

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus