Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Death

Poor Dragon. For some reason, she seems to be a bit obsessed with death right now. A week or so ago she told me that she didn't want to die, and of course, I reassured her that she's not going to die anytime soon. Naturally, I don't know when she's going to die, but I figure she doesn't need to know that.

Anyway, today she asked,

"If Heavenly Father really loves me, why can't He send me back down to earth after I die?"

Wow. Am I really supposed to answer that question? I asked The Dragon why she wanted to stay on earth, and she simply said "I LOVE Earth." I told her that Heaven was far more beautiful and wonderful than Earth, and that when she died she would be OK, and that if she wanted to see Earth, that Heavenly Father would let her.

The answer seemed to calm her, but it seems woefully inadequate to me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger gaily-o said...

Poor Dragon indeed! What a sweet girl! I think your answer was wonderful and who knows... maybe God will let her come back if she really wants to. ;)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

I had a similar conversation with The Princess when she was about 4. She saw a video of my grandfather and could not fathom why he was not here with us. We had to the whole Heaven conversation...but she just didn't get it. One day as we left the grocery store, she grabbed my hand and told me to, "Hold her tight so a car would not hit her and Jesus come and take her." It was so sad! After going rounds trying to ease her little mind....we finally settled on, "God gets lonely and sometimes he needs to bring people up to be with him." Suprisingly this is what brought her the most peace!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I will certainly be back to yours!

5:35 AM  
Blogger dubby said...

Dianna went through the same thing. She talked about dying and said she saw angels and stuff like that. It was freaky, but she grew out of it.

It is great she feels she can talk about things like this. If she can talk to you about "anything" without you blowing her off or being uncomfortable and recognizing her feelings, she will be more apt to come to you with problems when she is older. This is very real to her.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I think your answer was perfect! It's always so hard to explain death to small children.

I agree with Dubby about making yourself always accessible to your kids so they can talk to you about anything - from what I can tell - you're a GREAT Mom!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus