Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sink Or Swim?

The Princess celebrated her 7th birthday last Friday with an 'Under the Sea' birthday party. She doesn't really turn 7 until this Friday, but due to scheduling complications the 'friend' party was held last week.



As usual, I did my best to try and create a super fun party because it's well, my 'thing'. I was left with a feeling of emptiness however, due mostly to the brat-i-ness factor of the girls that attended. The King and I were shocked at the behavior and attitudes that were shown throughout the party. We always expect a few 'incidents' of hurt feelings, etc, but this was beyond that. I don't think any explanation that I could give would accurately portray what we witnessed that day, but do you remember Junior High? Think of the very worst experience you had there involving girls, and this party was probably pretty similar.

A few people I've spoken to in detail about the party suggested only inviting a few girls next year. That is a possibility - I won't deny it. I think the invite aspect of the party definitely comes from my experiences as a child - being the child that wasn't included, or experiencing the 'back lash' from NOT inviting someone to my party. The kids that The Princess attends school with this year, are likely the same classmates she will have every year until she reaches Junior High. There is very little turnover, and being that there is only one class, the kids don't get mixed up like they might from year to year in a traditional school. It just felt right to include everyone.

I think there was a benefit to having her party at our church last year - there wasn't anything to distract the kids from the party activities. You did the activities or you sat on the sidelines and watched. We had one little girl who kept insisting that she was going to go upstairs to play with the toys (it never happened). We had other children who refused to play certain games because they would rather swing (we do have an awesome swingset). I meant to take down the swings before the party started so it wouldn't be a distraction, but I forgot. Mental note for next year!

I also think there was a huge benefit in having my brother take all the pictures last year... mostly being that I didn't have to worry about it. My Mom offered to take the pictures, but she couldn't seem to work the camera. That left The King and I in charge of pictures in addition to the rest of the party details. Ugh. We did get some cute shots, but it would've been nice not to have to worry about it.

I suppose you would really like more of the party details other than what went right and what went wrong, and I suppose I would also like to document them... but... it's going to have to wait a little bit longer. Sorry! I am still working up the strength to relive it. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was hoping the party would turn out great! i know you worked so hard. though, little girls can be so...ummm...difficult.

i hope she had a good time anyway!

10:55 PM  
Blogger dubby said...

I am sure the girls will have happy memories of the party. Don't dwell on the bad stuff. And yes, girls are taught by television to act like bratty middle school kids. It's cool.

6:09 AM  
Blogger gaily-o said...

Amanda went to school with the same 16 girls for 5 years. they get catty quickly when they are with the same kids year after year. But I don't know that I would suggest not inviting everyone. Having a pool party seemed to make Amanda's parties run pretty smoothly as far as fights and cattiness went. The girls had time to burn off energy in the pool before hand or they had time to burn it off after cake and presents. It was a sanity saver. Just something to think about.

I'm sure Sara will only remember the fun part!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus