Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Something To Think About...

**NOTE** I didn't write this. Supposedly it was an editorial written for one of our nation's newspapers. I don't know which paper, or who wrote it, as no credit was given in the email that I received.

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.



Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.



Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.



Let's say I break into your house.

Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors. I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house)."



According to the protesters:



You are required to let me stay in your house.

You are required to add me to your family's insurance plan.

You are required to educate my kids.

You are required to provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).



If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my RIGHT to be there.



It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest, person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house... and what a deal it is for me!



I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior.



Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you to learn MY LANGUAGE so you can communicate with me.



Why can't people see how ridiculous this is? Only in America.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger dubby said...

This is the way Glenn Beck puts it. He may have written it.

Have you ever been to Mexico? They have homes in walled "colonies" with broken glass at the tops of the walls. Everything is locked up. All the businesses have burglar bars. Stealing is the national pasttime. They are NOT honest as a culture (although individuals are) and they want to bring this culture to the States!

This is the United States, and English is one thing that unites us. I learned that from living in Belgium with three different official languages.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Here's an idea for freedom. First, gradually do away with the government handouts and all regulations, from both the Left and the Right. They only ever drained those who are productive, thereby dragging down all of America. Direct the police and judicial system to actively 1) defend the American individual's life, liberty & property from individuals who would interfere with him by force or fraud, and 2) respect and enforce contractual agreements between individuals.

Now let the immigrants in and watch welfare Americans scramble to work as hard as the immigrants would. The immigrants will delight in, and appreciate, America more than any who live for the handouts. Every honest American would benefit from the greater productivity.

Both protectionsism (think Statue of Liberty) and wealth transfer (think taxation and profligate government spending) are un-American.

[And I'm a British born Canadian!]

Your preview button doesn't seem to work, unless logged in via Gogle/Blog name.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Dear Karana,

You might be interested in my struggling new web site: www.valuedminds.com. It is designed to help parents find the best new or old children's books quickly. Over time I want the site will bring attention to really worthwhile older books, and maybe even bring some back into print (even if ValuedMinds Inc. has to set that up).

With a few helpers, I review and rank children's books for Story quality, writer’s Craft, and how they introduce young readers to Ideas about morality, sense of life, mankind and the world. I spent many weeks working out the ranking system, so that it could be consistently applied to books in both Fiction and Discovery (a.k.a. non-Fiction —I dislike categorizing things by negatives).

The About Us, Literary Approach and Articles explain the above in greater detail.

I think parents will find my reviews, especially of some titles, to be extraordinarily penetrating compared to anything on the Internet (or elsewhere for that matter). I have tried to include as many top titles as I could obtain, so you might be able to find a review of one you know... perhaps Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree.* If you have a title that you think fits the standards of the site, please e-mail us in the manner suggested on the Contact Us page.

Of course, any way I can get parents to visit and consider my site is a value. I am hoping you will take a serious look, include a ValuedMinds link on your site, and perhaps even blog about it.

*type "giving tree" into the search line, choose "Title" from the drop down box and click "Search".

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus