Thursday, November 09, 2006

What Would You Do...

... if you were supposedly invited to a baby shower but you never received an invitation?

And the shower is less than 2 days away?

What if the shower is for your sister-in-law?

What if you and your sister-in-law don't seem to get along very well?

I'm getting her a present(s), no matter what. But I really don't want to go to the shower, I haven't been invited by 'paper' though I was sort-of 'oh by the way' invited if you count

SIL: "You heard I changed the date of my shower, right?"
ME: "Oh I heard you were having a shower but..."
SIL: "10:30 on Saturday."

as being an invitation. Bear in mind that I don't know WHERE this shower is being held either.

I really don't want to go. My Mother is (naturally!) putting a lot of pressure on me to go, she thinks that I just don't like SIL and am not going to spite her (not the case). It's true that we don't really get along, but I wouldn't NOT go for that reason. There is always a chance that the invitation got lost in the mail - but come on, it's 2 days before the shower and it still hasn't arrived AND the hostess hasn't called to follow up with people who haven't RSVP'd yet? I'm sorry, but at this point I'm really feeling like I would be crashing the party if I attended. I realize that some of you might point out that we recently moved (hence the invitation went to the wrong place), but a) she knows we moved, b) she's called to get our new address, c) she can always get our address from my other brother, my grandpa, or my Mom, and d), I've emailed her our new address at least once.

So... what would you do?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go, but I'm kind of a beotch that way so you may want to take my advice with a grain of... with pure grain.

7:45 PM  
Blogger King Isepik said...

I'm all for the pure grain... :) Of course, I'm all about avoiding baby showers as much as I can, though... :)

There's no pressure from me either way. You do what you want to do, Wife-O-Mine.

By the way, OTJ, where'd you say put that grain... ? :)

11:53 PM  
Blogger dubby said...

Well, I for one wouldn't think twice about not getting the written invitation. She could have put it aside pending getting your address and lost it. With kids around, give her some credit if her organization isn't perfect. Throwing a shower is a lot of work and details. BUT at the same time, if you don't want to go, then don't go. You sure don't want to go with an attitude, whether you can hide it or not. The best thing is to drop off a gift before the party with your regrets for not being there. But DON'T mention not getting the invitation. That will create controversy. Just say "I am unable to make it" and blame it on your busy life as a mother and wife.

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus