Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sad

I'm not very happy right now. The Pink Princess is being very difficult and I don't know how to help her. She is mean and cruel and cranky as all get out and while I love her, I don't like her very much right now.

Today she was supposed to have a piano lesson after school. I picked her up at 2:45 and we headed to my Mom's house (about 5 minutes away), and had a nice after school snack. Her lesson was supposed to start around 3:30 - we had the luxury of being flexible because my Mom doesn't start her full schedule until next week - but my Mom was late. She didn't get home until about 3:50. By then, The Pink Princess had started playing and was pissed off (sorry but I really can't think of a "nicer" word that would appropriately describe her behavior) that she needed to stop for her lesson. She started screaming. I tried to get her to calm down but of course she wouldn't. I told her that if she didn't do her lesson she wasn't going to be able to have her playdate on Friday. She started screaming that she wanted a playdate. I told her to calm down so she could have her lesson - otherwise no playdate. She didn't calm down. So we left. With her screaming and kicking the back of my seat all the way home. The Purple Dragon decided to scream too because she wasn't very happy about having to leave Grandma's house.

My Mom suggested that maybe we stop piano lessons for a year. It's tempting. But I feel like if we stop she'll never start again. The Pink Princess thinks that life should be fun and only fun. I agree that life should be fun, but there are some things in life that you just have to do. Like practicing piano. Like cleaning your room. Like helping out around the house. I know she's only 6, but I'm not asking her to do that much. I usually help her with everything anyway... seriously, HOW HARD CAN HER LIFE BE? Besides, there are a lot of huge benefits to learning to play an instrument -- did you know that learning to play an instrument can help you learn math? It's true. Maybe that's the answer... she hates math too. I'll just tell her to keep practicing so the math gets easier. I don't think she'll believe me though.

King Isepik is going to be home soon, and I think I am going to walk out the door when he gets here. It's not a very nice thing to do to him, this I know, but I really need to get out of here. I've been miserable and crying for the past hour or so and I think I need a change in scene.

Besides, I am supposed to go to a "missionary shower" this evening, and I haven't bought a gift yet. Lovely. I did get a card. Maybe I'll just write a check.

The Princess' kindergarten teacher once told me that a lot of these "gifted" kids go through all the "teenage" issues when they are young. The comfort in this is that they are supposed to be a "dream" when they are teenagers. I do trust her teacher's experience but the other part of me is seriously wondering if that scenario is the case for The Princess -- or if I am just going to be dealing with a tsunami for the rest of my life.

Oh, and I should clarify something. I said that the present for The Purple Dragon's birthday was for the family -- it's more for The Princess and The Dragon. But sort-of the family. But mostly them. Though I will probably enjoy it too. I'd tell you what it is but I have to go get ready to leave... TOODLES! <--- For Cathryn

3 Comments:

Blogger dubby said...

You are a great mom and I love your kids. Gifted kids are different. Any of mine would have acted the same way at that age, and none were too awful as teenagers.

9:39 AM  
Blogger gaily-o said...

sara is an aries. We're a pain in the butt. Just ask my mother. The bonus however is that she loves me now and of course, I'm the best kid she has out of the five. She told me so. I'm the favorite. My brothers and sisters are just lying when they say that she tells them that, too. ;)

Hang in there. She's at a 1/2 year stage. They get more difficult. She should mellow as her birthday gets closer and then it will be another good 6 months and then probably a bad 6 months.

Just remember, it all works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.

love,
gail

11:09 AM  
Blogger dubby said...

Okay, it has been three days now. Pity party over and put up a fun post!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus